My annual personal stress-inducing analysis of the year’s finest albums for families has finally come to this. Below are my top ten picks for the best family music recordings (of those released between November 1, 2010 and October 31, 2011). Congratulations to the winners. Note that links lead to either the FMR review or directly to the artist Web page if there is no applicable review. Some reviews are in the QuickPicks, so read through for the appropriate title. Here’s to a new year ahead of equally terrific tunes!
- Dan Zanes and Friends – Little Nut Tree
- The Jimmies- Practically Ridiculous
- Recess Monkey – Flying!
- The Deedle Deedle Dees – Strange Dees, Indeed.
- Lunch Money – Original Friend
- ScribbleMonster – Look Both Ways
- Frances England – Mind of My Own
- Caspar Babypants – Sing Along
- Lucky Diaz and The Family Jam Band – Oh Lucky Day!
- Todd McHatton – Galactic Champions of Joy
Honorable Mentions: The Not Its – Tag You’re It, Brady Rymer – Love Me for Who I Am, Alastair Moock – These Are My Friends, Papa Crow – Things That Roar, Beethoven’s Wig – Sing Along Piano Classics, Too Many Cookes – Down At The Zoo, Trout Fishing in America – Chicken Joe Forgets Something Important, Chip Taylor – Golden Kid Rules, Rocknoceros – Colonel Purple Turtle, Sunshine Collective – Wanna Play?