Reviewed by Gregory Keer
Happy Top Ten Season, everyone! It’s time for the annual FMR list of the year’s best children’s music. I say this every time, but it’s always true that there are a ton of great musical works that don’t get mentioned here or on other lists. My hope is that the rundown encourages you to explore these recordings and find your way to others as well. The selections all had to have been released between November 1, 2011 and October 31, 2012. Note that links lead to either the FMR review or directly to the artist Web page if there is no applicable review. Some reviews are in the QuickPicks, so read through for the appropriate title. Read and get listening!
- The Pop Ups – Radio Jungle
- Randy Kaplan – Mr. Diddie Wah Diddie
- Secret Agent 23 Skidoo – Make Believers
- Okee Dokee Brothers – Can You Canoe?
- Recess Monkey – In Tents
- Lucky Diaz and the Family Jam Band – Potluck
- Elizabeth Mitchell – Little Seed
- Sugar Free Allstars – All on a Sunday Afternoon
- Dog on Fleas – Invisible Friends
- Lunch Money – Spicy Kid
Honorable Mentions: Aaron Nigel Smith – Welcome to the Village!, Bill Harley – High Dive, Renee & Jeremy – A Little Love, Ozomatli – Ozomatli Presents Ozokids, Mo Phillips – Monster Suit, Elizabeth MItchell – Blue Clouds, Various Artists – Science Fair, Caspar Babypants – Hot Dog!, Laura Veirs – Tumble Bee, Gustafer Yellowgold – A Year in the Day